Invitation for Applications
Bethlehem Centre Society (BCS) Board is made up of professionals along with community-minded and spiritually grounded people who have made a commitment to be involved and assist with governing the society. In order to meet the challenges and effectively lead this dynamic organization, BCS requires candidates who can provide the leadership and strategic direction at the Board of Director level. Previous Board experience is not required, although an asset.
Nestled in the shadows of Nanaimo’s Mt Benson, on beautiful Westwood Lake, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, there are thirty-seven guest rooms and a variety of meeting rooms. The property sits on several acres and hosts a labyrinth, meditation trails and a pond.
BCS was established in 1987 by the House of Bread Benedictine Sisters. In 2014, the Sisters decided to sell the property in order to retire from many years of welcoming diverse groups and individuals to the Centre.
Now, Bethlehem Centre (Society) is no longer associated with any particular faith tradition, rather a multi-faith non-profit that welcomes all who are on a spiritual path. Our vision embraces “spirituality without borders” and we maintain the tradition of hospitality that has long been part of the Centre’s strength.
We believe that there is a connectedness in all of humanity in our search for meaning and spirituality, and we collaborate with many partners to offer programs that help people evolve in ways that expand our consciousness and connectedness to each other, our communities and our planet.
BCS board member will:
- Have a passion for our cause.
- Preferably be a resident of the greater Nanaimo area (although all applicants will be considered).
- Support the vision, mission, and values of BCS.
- Have a background in risk management, legal, technology, accounting and/or a related field.
- Represent our desire to reflect the diversity of our stakeholders and be open to diverse expressions of faith.
- Be familiar with a governance-based Board of Directors and non-profit organizations. Or have a passion for learning about them!
- Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings.
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
- Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participates in fund raising for the organization.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being of service to BCS’s Board, we welcome your interest. You are invited to send a current CV with a brief statement as to why you should be considered in confidence to email@example.com