Thu Dec 8, 2016
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Thursdays 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
15 Classes: September 8, 2016 – December 15, 2016
Drop-In Fee: $15
The Threshold Choir movement was started in the US by KateMunger in 2000 and has since grown to over 100 choirs around the world…You can read all about the concept of Threshold Choir here: www.thresholdchoir.org
This program is for you if:
- You are drawn to being of service to others who are at the end of life
- You feel the call to sing at the bedsides of those who are dying, in pain or suffering, or otherwise at one of life’s Thresholds.
- You understand or can imagine the sacred and healing power of song.
- You like the idea of building a loving and compassionate community connected through the medium of shared voices in song, and through service.
- You respect all spiritual paths and traditions and are comfortable singing songs which are drawn from them.
- You might also feel called to create original songs appropriate for this special choir.
You can expect to learn:
- Many short, simple chants, songs and harmonies from many spiritual traditions, some traditional, some contemporary. The songs will be drawn from, amongst others, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Islam.
- Some more complex songs that may be purely for the pleasure, learning and upliftment of the choir itself (as they may be too long for bedside singing, or not quite a fit, but are so beautiful we just have to sing them!).
- How to create and contribute your own musical arrangements.
- How to blend your voices.
- How to harmonize.
- How to express kindness and compassion through song.
- How to heal and support one another as choir members through song
- The art of being present.
- How to hold space.
- How to offer comfort and compassion to the dying person through the gift of song, at the bedside.
When called to a bedside, only 2 or 3 members go to sing. A dying person is obviously in a vulnerable, fragile state. More than this can be very distressing for the person. Therefore, not everyone who joins the choir will be obliged to sing at the bedside, so this is not a prerequisite for joining. The choir in and of itself is a very fulfilling and self-nourishing activity. Those who do feel called to sing at bedsides will share and rotate this privilege as necessary.
Drop-ins welcome @ $15 per session – open to the public and to those staying at the Centre
For the first two weeks of each session a 50% refund will be available if you decide not to continue, after that no refunds can be given.
Ella had a life changing experience as a non singer 25 years ago when gifted Glaswegian mentor Harriet Buchan helped her “find her (singing) voice” in a most miraculous way. Like Parsival, Ella did not know she was holding the Holy Grail and she foolishly lost it. She has spent the rest of her life looking for it! Her search has led her to many wonderful vocal mentors and incredible healing experiences, through much experimentation and self inquiry, to one of the most special and precious healing vehicles through song, choir and voice which is the Threshold Choir, an exquisite and purposeful way to build community, partake in the communion of spiritually uplifting song and be of blessed service to others who are at the very end of life, the ultimate threshold. Ella has worked with Jill Purce, Harriet Buchan, Chloe Goodchild (UK) Theatre of the Voice, (France), Rhiannon (US) and many more.
Bookings are closed for this event.